Following Delta’s news of Delta Extending 2020 Medallion Status, United Extending Premier Status, Reducing Requirements, and American Airlines Extending Elite Status, Reducing Requirements, Southwest Airlines is the latest airline to announce what they’re doing for its members.
The airline will be extending 2020 A-List and A-List Preferred Status through December 31, 2021. Additionally, Southwest will be extending current Companion Pass benefits through June 30, 2021, representing an additional 6 months.
Additionally for those looking to earn status or a higher tier, Southwest will be crediting all Rapid Rewards members bonus points and flights towards elite status and earning a companion pass.
- For our current A-List and A-List Preferred Members, we are extending your current earned status through December 31, 2021.
- For our current Companion Pass Members, we are extending your current earned Companion Pass benefits through June 30, 2021.
- For all Rapid Rewards Members, we recognize that your normal flying behavior has been interrupted, limiting progress you may have been making toward qualification for A-List, A-List Preferred, and Companion Pass. For that reason, we are giving all Rapid Rewards Members a “boost” of 15,000 tier qualifying points and 10 flight credits toward A-List and A-List Preferred status, and 25,000 Companion Pass qualifying points and 25 flight credits toward Companion Pass status.
For Members enrolled in a promotion granting promotional A-List status or challenging a Member to extend promotional A-List status such as Status Match, Tier Challenge, Tier Experience, or a Corporate Status Challenge and who met the flight requirements by the promotion end date, we are extending your current promotional status through December 31, 2021. However, for Members enrolled in any of the above promotions and who to date have not met the flight requirements, we are extending the deadline to meet the promotion’s flight requirements to October 30, 2020.
These moves represent additional ways to either work toward or to use these benefits once you’re ready to begin traveling again. These adjustments will happen automatically and will be reflected in your Southwest Rapid Rewards My Account page over the coming weeks.
See related Coronavirus status extensions:
- American Airlines Extending Elite Status, Reducing Requirements
- Marriott Bonvoy 2020 Status Extension for All Members
- United Extending Premier Status, Reducing Requirements
- Delta Extending Medallion Status, Sky Club Memberships and More
- World of Hyatt 2020 Status Extension for All Members
- Hilton Honors 2020 Status Extension for All Members
It’s great to see Southwest follow the leads of Delta, United, and American Airlines and extend elite status for all members for another year. They’re taking it even further by reducing crediting all members with status points for those looking to earn status or even a higher tier, as well as extending companion pass benefits for an additional 6 months.
What are your thoughts on Southwest’s announcement extending A-List and A-List Preferred status for another year and lowering elite requirements? Feel free to share in the comments below.