This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Montreal is one of our favorite North American cities to visit, especially in the summer. The city has a unique feel and excellent restaurants to indulge your culinary senses.
Discounted Award Travel On American Airlines
AAdvantageGeek reminds us that American Airlines offers discounted travel on a quarterly basis for American Airlines card holders. You can see the latest discounts available on their website.
Third quarter awards are valid for eligible round trip travel originating in the 48 contiguous United States. Booking is valid June 1, 2012 – September 30, 2012 for travel from July 1, 2012 through September 30, 2012*. All travel must be completed by September 30, 2012. To claim your award, or for more information, call American Airlines AAdvantage Reservations at
As you can see above the discounted award travel includes Montreal, one of our favorite cities in North America. The coach tickets go for only 17,500 AA miles per ticket round trip and the premium cabin tickets go for only 42,500 AA miles per ticket round trip.
Additional 10% Off AA Award Travel For Citi Platinum Select Card Holders
Ten percent miles back on AAdvantage miles redeemed by cardmembers, up to 10,000 miles per calendar year. For example, if the cardmember uses AAdvantage miles to book a 50,000 mile roundtrip flight, they will receive 5,000 AAdvantage miles back in their AAdvantage account approximately 6-8 weeks after booking.
This means that a discounted coach ticket to Montreal would go from 17,500 down to only 15,750 AA miles. The premium cabin award would go from 42,500 down to 38,250 AA miles.
From distances such as Dallas the American Airlines award makes sense over using British Airways Avios points. From Dallas, British Airways Avios points requires 10,000 points per direction in coach. So 15,750 American Airlines miles makes more sense. But if you are traveling from say, New York City, British Airways only requires 4,500 Avios point per direction in coach. So it depends on where you are departing from. British Airways Avios points have their advantages for short and long haul flights, but you have to evaluate what makes more sense for your situation.
We’ve spent a lot of time in Montreal. We typically stay at the W Hotel Montreal (review) or InterContinental Montreal (review) because of their location. But we’ve also stayed at the Hyatt in Montreal and like its location as well. Here is a random collection of our tips for Montreal.
We have a tried and true driver, Joe, who has an Escalade and will certainly take care of your transportation needs while in Montreal. His mobile is 514.953.3435. He is always on time and the most friendly driver I’ve ever met. This guy was the Lebanese Heavy weight wrestling champion in like the late 80s. He is 6’5, athletic nice guy, that could handle any situation for you (not that one will come up) if you ever needed it. His cost from the airport is the same as regular taxi’s, and with the space, will be a cost saver. Try him out on this route once, and I bet you will use him for the entire trip.
Here are some of the must visit restaurants. Go ahead, order a bottle of wine, a plate of poutine and enjoy the cuisine that this wonderful city has to offer.
- La Queue de Cheval – Very nice steak restaurant with a cigar bar. You can try the cuban cigars and the Kobe beef here.
- Cafe Ferreira – Portuguese restaurant with very cool atmosphere, reservations are a must or you won’t get in. This is one of our favorites.
- Cavalli – The food is ok. Urban feel and the restaurant is close to the next restaurant.
- Le Brasserie Les Pois Penche – Few blocks from center of town. French cuisine with a sea food focus, try the whole sea bass. They have a great wine menu.
- Barroco – Near the W Hotel Montreal. My very favorite restaurant in all of Montreal. A small french restaurant with the best atmosphere. Ask for the “nook” table which seats 4 in the corner. Located in old Montreal a few blocks from the water. Make sure you budget time to visit the martini bar before you have dinner. They make some of the best martinis and cocktails, seriously. Just check out the video of their bartender making a maple old fashioned cocktail.
- Au Pied de Cochon – For the true Gluton try the pigs head appetizer. No joke they brought out a pigs head for us to share between 8 of us.
- Joe Beef – Awesome food and wine list, very local, but maybe a little to far out for you and the crew to venture, but had to mention because of the food.
- L’Express – Very local joint in the arts district, great frois grois, bone marrow, French wine, and for desert the Il Flotante “dome” of ice cream.
- Gandhi – Best Indian food in Montreal. Located in Old Montreal.
- Le Garde Manger – Located in Old Montreal close to Barroco. Not a very advertised place, but is always packed.
- Boustan – Very good cheap Lebanese food delivered promptly. Save this number you will need it – 514.843.3576
Montreal Bars / Lounges
This is one of our weak spots, but we’ll share a few for you to consider.
- Wunder bar at W hotel – Go no later than 11 PM. This place gets crazy.
- Santos – Cool lounge with some food.
- La Queue de Cheval – For the cuban cigar lover.
Hyatt Platinum Extra Giveaway
We are giving away a Hyatt Platinum Extra to one lucky reader who shares their favorite thing to do in Montreal. The winner will receive one Hyatt Platinum Extra certificate good for (1) Complimentary food & beverage, or (2) 1,000 Bonus Hyatt points, or (3) Regency Club upgrade or (4) complimentary beverage at Hyatt Place and Summerfield suites.
To enter simply leave a comment in this post answering the following:
- What is your favorite thing to do in Montreal?
- Example: I love taking a jog along the river by old Montreal in the morning
We’ll select one lucky winner at random on Sunday to award the Hyatt Platinum Extra.
Montreal is an attractive city to visit in the summer. It gets even more attractive when you can get a discounted award ticket.
We’ve shared a few of our favorite spots to see while in Montreal. There is so much to do and we couldn’t list everything. So appreciate if you can share your tips. What is your favorite thing to do, place to see when in Montreal?
Points, Miles and Martinis will earn a referral fee for successful credit card applications through the associated links in this post. As always, we appreciate your support for the blog.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.