This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Arguably the best reason to strive to attain Delta Platinum status is the complimentary upgrades to First Class. And the best type of First Class upgrade is when it is to an internationally configured Business Elite cabin on a domestic route with flat-bed seating.
It’s easy to check the plane type that will operate your flight, and this can greatly increase your chance of flying in a more comfortable seat. There is the option of flying the regular domestic first class seats or the internationally configured Business Elite seats. For Points, Miles & Martinis, the choice is easy. We always select the option with flat-bed seats when available. Thanks to Platinum status we earned the easy way, status based upgrades occur frequently.
This year I earned more than 60,000 MQMs without flying through the Delta Reserve Card from American Express and the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. These Medallion Qualifying Miles count towards status and help me get the benefits of unlimited complimentary upgrades and free award redeposit fees throughout the year. Definitely worth the effort in my experience.
Upgrades to First Class on internationally configured planes makes the effort to achieve Platinum status worthwhile. On this flight, we received a complimentary upgrade to Business Elite flat-bed seats. The best part was champagne that was served prior to departure.
Have you ever been upgraded to an internationally configured Business Class seat on a domestic route?
Delta frequently runs these types of planes on domestic routes which makes the complimentary upgrade so much more valuable. However, starting March 1, 2014, members will no longer receive transcontinental upgrades on Delta.
- How I Earned 60,000 Delta MQMs Without Flying
- How To Claim 15,000 Delta Medallion Qualifying Miles To Earn Status Faster
- The Easiest 10,000 Delta MQMs I’ve Ever Earned…Except The Time When…
- Last Minute MQMs With Delta–End Of Year Earning Options
- Delta Selling Medallion Qualifying Miles
- How To Link Travel Programs To American Express Membership Rewards Program
- How To Transfer American Express Membership Rewards To Travel Programs
- Earning Delta Platinum Elite Status The Easy Way
- Full Flat Business Elite Seat 1D On Delta’s 767 Domestic Route
- Delta’s Domestic Flat Bed Business Elite Seat 8C From Atlanta to New York
- Another Domestic Delta Lie-Flat Route For 767
- How To Display Delta’s Lowest Award Results
- Lots Of Delta Low Award Availability To Tokyo For New Years
- Delta 777 Flat-Bed Business Class Review – Atlanta To Los Angeles
- Delta 767 Flat-Bed Business Elite – Another Day Another Domestic Flight With International Business Class
- Good Advice When Canceling A Delta Award Ticket As Platinum Member
- Delta DC9-50 First Class Happy Hour & Upgrade Lottery
- Denver – Delta 757 Domestic First Class 1A
- Jacksonville – “Not All Champagne Wishes” Delta Flight in Coach
- Los Angeles – Delta 777 Flight in Business Elite from Atlanta
- Los Angeles – Delta A330 Flight in Business Elite to Atlanta
- Los Angeles – Delta’s “Other Transcon” Service – 777 Business Elite From Los Angeles
- New York – Delta 757 Business Elite Seat
- New York – Delta 767 Old Business Elite Seat
- New York – Delta 767 Old Business Elite Review
- New York – Delta First Class from Newark to Atlanta
- Brussels – Delta new lie-flat Business Class
- Brussels – Delta 767 with new lie-flat Business Class review
- Delta – How to get a free extra one-way on an award ticket
- Delta – Illustration on how to get a free extra one-way award ticket
- Delta – How to book one-way award tickets on Delta operated flights
- Delta – How to get free checked bags for friends of Elite members on split reservations
- Delta – Dedicated routes with lie-flat seats in Business Class
- Delta – Add your birthday into your account for a present
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class tickets to French Polynesia
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class tickets to Seychelles
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Australia
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Shanghai
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Tokyo
- Delta – Booking Delta’s one-way 90k business class award to Asia
- Delta – Book your flight to greatly increase your upgrade changes and ride in style
- Delta – How to get access to the Delta Sky Club even if you are not on a Delta ticket
- Delta – How to keep up with the latest celebrity gossip on Delta Airlines for free with gogo wifi
- Delta – Track your bags throughout your journey with mobile bag tracking
- Delta – Earning miles on the TGV train in Europe; don’t make this mistake
- Delta – How to check the upgrade lists before you fly to ensure you are on the free upgrade list
- Delta – How To Gift Delta Medallion Qualifying Miles
- Delta – Your Upgrade Is Now Confirmed – And How To Check Your Upgrade Priority Level
- Delta – How To Get Low Level Delta Award On Cross Country Flights (The Hard Way)
- Delta – Earn Delta status without flying
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.