As an AA ExPlat, I come to expect not a certain level of service but a certain level of consistency. This is one of the main reasons I am completely loyal to them. But lately I’ve run into an AA upgrade glitch that has been extremely frustrating.
Aromas and Rum writer here at Points, Miles & Martinis is an American Airlines Ex Platinum, whose work takes him to places far and many times remote. From Guyana to Palestine to UAE to Trinidad and everywhere in between, he loves to dive head first into the local culture though food, music, politics and traditions. Boarding Area readers will be able to take this journey along with “the Captain”, through his words and pictures on Points, Miles and Martinis.
To illustrate loyalty, AA will get over 300,000 butt in Seat miles from me in 2016 on top of the over 200,000 last year. Do I deserve anything for this out of the ordinary? No. Do I deserve a level of consistency in their systems, no doubt. When I fly AA, I don’t want to worry about anything except if my phone and iPad need charging. I have enough to keep track of, traveling the world for work.
Well the consistency and reliability of the upgrade lists has brought me out of the woodwork to write my first post in a while. I’m upset. Really upset. Not because there seems to be some sort of glitch in their system but because no one can figure out why. And worse than that, no one seems to care.
Mind you that the situation I’m about to dissect has been happening to me about 50% of the time since the beginning of the year.
AA Upgrade Glitch
Take a look at these images. Can you guess what the crawl in my side is?
NO? Let me explain.
1) I buy a ticket on AA.com for SLC to PHX to LAX and apply an upgrade certificate request.
2) SLC to PHX upgrade clears 72 hours in advance.
3) PHX to LAX hasn’t cleared and I’m not even showing on the requested list. No big deal, maybe it will at the gate.
4) As I’m sitting in the Admirals Club, I go to the app. Check the upgrade list.
5) WTF! Why is my name not on the list?
6) My request must have dropped somehow right? NOPE. Still there.
7) I gather by belongings and hurry to the gate.
8) as I stand and look at the list in the screen do I see my name? NOPE. So My request is showing in the system but I am not on the upgrade list on either the app or the gate screen.
9) I politely ask the gate agent why I have a request in for an upgrade but I’m not on the list. Unfortunately I got the same answer that I’ve been getting for months. “I’m not sure air but I would call the Executive Platinum Desk”. Afterwards she magically molests keyboard.
10) Guess What. To the top of the list. Voila