This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Delta launched their Basic Economy product a few years ago, however it’s since the launch it’s being expanded to more routes, both domestically and international meaning it’s more likely to see it as a fare option than not when booking on Delta these days.
With the expansion of Basic Economy, it’s currently only available as a revenue ticket, however I wouldn’t be surprised for it to be offered as a SkyMiles Award redemption in the future.
Delta already offers Comfort + as an award ticket, and with their dynamic pricing of awards, it wouldn’t be hard to come up with a pricing model of a few thousand SkyMiles left from a Main Cabin award ticket.
Basic Economy Restrictions:
- Seats can not be assigned in advance and will automatically be chosen at check-in or at the gate, however there are no seat changes
- Fare is non-refundable and non-changeable, meaning if you can’t take the flight, you’re out for the entire value of the ticket
- Zone 4 boarding for Basic Economy customers unless a Medallion Member, then Priority boarding would apply
- No Same Day Travel Changes allowed since the ticket is non-changeable. Medallion members are NOT eligible for Same Day Confirm or Same Day Standby option
- Ticket is not upgrade eligible for anyone including Medallions
- Not eligible for complimentary Comfort + or Preferred seating or to buy up to these seats
At this time there is no indication that Delta plans to add Basic Economy as a SkyMiles redemption option, however I’m sure it’s been thought of and will be in the works down the road.
What are your thoughts on if Delta was to add Basic Economy as a SkyMiles redemption option for a few thousand miles less than a Main Cabin fare? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.