On a recent Southwest Airlines flight last week from Atlanta to Houston Hobby Airport, the airline ignored a customer’s peanut allergy despite being notified both at the time of the reservation as well as the ticket counter. It wasn’t until they were inflight that the family noted peanuts being served and havoc broke out.
Luckily, they had an EpiPen to use, however this could have been a life threatening incident. It’s unclear on what exactly when wrong with the breakdown of communication from Southwest reservations and airport customer service teams to their flight crews, as normally when they have an allergy onboard, they won’t offer peanuts as part of their snack service.
Fox News has the details,
A Texas family claims Southwest Airlines served peanuts on their flight, causing a severe reaction in their 9-year-old child, despite warning the airline of his life-threatening allergy in advance.
The presence of peanuts was potentially life threatening to Christian, so his mom had to administer his EpiPen.
“And so with his throat closing up, we’re making decisions like, ‘OK, we have to do this because this is life or death,’” Chelsia said.
Christian’s dad, Derrick, said they still had about 45 minutes to go before the plane landed and they weren’t sure what was going to happen.
A spokesperson for Southwest said they have “followed up with the appropriate Southwest teams in regards to the Calvert family’s experience on our flight yesterday. We have communicated our sincere apologies, and our Customer Relations Department will continue to work directly with Ms. Calvert.”