United Airlines offers two types of same day travel changes, which are either to confirm on to a new flight in the same class of service or to be added to the standby list if the later isn’t available. Both these options are available through reservations or the Premier line, however you can also easily make these changes online through their website.
MileagePlus Premier Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members may request a same-day change at no charge. MileagePlus non–Premier members and MileagePlus Premier Silver members are charged a $75 fee per ticket.
Here’s a run down on how United Same Day Changes work:
- The itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016.
- The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. The requested flight must be departing within 24 hours from the time the request is made and can include any fare class, though you may be required to pay the difference in fare. Changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
- When the original ticketed fare class is available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply.
- When the original ticketed fare class is not available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply, as well as any additional payments or refunds for the difference in fare.
- You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
- Upgraded tickets will be automatically added to the upgrade standby list at your applicable upgrade priority. Once you are added to the upgrade standby list, you can check your real-time upgrade status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
- Changes are only available for the exact origin and destination airport. Connection points may be changed provided the new routing is permitted by the fare purchased.
If you checked baggage on your original flight, you will need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for United to attempt to move your baggage to the new flight.
For comparison, check out Delta Same Day Standby and Confirmed policies.
Do you have any tips on using either United’s same day flight change program? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.