Starbucks Rewards has announced some major changes to their rewards program which will go into effect on April 16, 2019, however for those used to the current system, these changes could be considered a devaluation.
The reason for this is with their current program you earn a free drink after 125 stars, however starting next month this will be going up for 150 stars. However, they’re offering different rewards as well, including adding syrups to drinks for 25 stars, brewed coffee for 50 stars, and lunch sandwiches for 200 stars as some examples.
Here’s a look at the new reward structure:
- 25 Stars: Extra Espresso Shot, Dairy Substitute or Additional Flavor
- 50 Stars: Brewed Hot Coffee, Hot Tea or select Bakery Items
- 150 Stars: Handcrafted Drink, Hot Breakfast or Yogurt Parfaits
- 200 Stars: Lunch Sandwich, Protein Box or Salad
- 400 Stars: Select Merchandise or Packaged Coffee
Starbucks Rewards started 10 years ago and has over 16 millon active members, so they’ve decided it was time for a revamp, which is why we’re seeing these changes.
Here’s a look at all the changes from Starbucks Rewards:
- Easier and Faster: All Starbucks Rewards members earn Stars toward free Rewards from the day they join, bringing immediate value to customers. This change means members can earn enough Stars to redeem a Reward in as few as 2-3 visits.
- More Choices: A new, tiered Rewards structure will replace the current single option at participating Starbucks locations, offering customers more ways than ever to use their Stars toward free items:
- No Star Expiration for Chase Credit/Debit Cardholders: Stars earned by Starbucks Rewards Visa Credit and Prepaid members will no longer expire
What are your thoughts about the new Starbucks Rewards program? Feel free to share in the comments below.