For a limited time you can redeem for a round trip flight from Miami to Cancun in coach for only 6,429 American Express Membership Rewards points. There are a number of other great short haul award flights that can be booked for this same amount.
How To Get The 6,429 Ticket
- Log Into your American Express Membership Rewards account and select the use points for airline option
- Transfer your American Express membership rewards points to British Airways Avios points at a 1:1.4 ratio
- Transfer Membership Rewards points into Executive Club Avios points through Sep 27, 2012 to receive a 40% bonus
- For the period of the promotion you will receive 1,400 Avios when you transfer 1,000 Membership Rewards points into your Executive Club account
- You may use Avios points in your Executive Club account to book a flight on British Airways or one of its oneworld alliance partners
Sample Itinerary & Award Pricing Calculation
A sample flight from Miami to Cancun can be booked for only 9,000 British Airways Avios points. If you transfer American Express Membership points with the current bonus, you’ll only need to transfer enough to get your Avios point balance to 6,429. If you are starting from a balance of zero British Airways Executive Club Avios points, you’ll need to transfer over 7,000 American Express Membership points since the transfers are completed in 1,000 increments.
The Avios points calculator will display the amount of Avios points required for a one-way ticket. Since the Miami to Cancun flight requires 4,500 points in coach, the British Airways Executive Club award will price out at 9,000 Avios points on their partner carrier American Airlines.
You can check the Avios points required for a desired route by going to the British Airways Avios calculator and plugging in your award ticketing routing.
For only 6,249 you can reserve a number of short haul award tickets with British Airways Executive Club Avios points. This is an amazing deal for sure.
This is also a great promotion if you are looking to top off your British Airways Executive Club account with enough Avios points for an award ticket level. I have an Avios point balance that is just shy of several short haul coach awards, so I’m going to take advantage of this promotion. We can spare a few American Express Membership points since the Weekly Flyers are flush with points thanks to the 75,000 Amex Gold offer and the 100,000 Amex Platinum offer we recently took advantage of.
But if you don’t have an immediate need or one in the near future, consider keeping your points in the American Express Membership Rewards program since they will remain flexible. Once you transfer the points there is no getting them back.