This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
Earlier today we shared that members of both programs, American Airlines AAdvantage and US Airways Dividend Miles can now book award tickets on flights operated by either American Airlines or US Airways.
This is excellent news and congrats to US Airways and American Airlines to implementing this so quickly. If you do so, there is one small problem, you cannot select the seats in the record locator if you book a flight with one but redeem miles from the other.
Not to worry. There is a simple work around. Below are simple steps to reserve a seat if you book a US Airways operated flight with American Airlines AAdvantage miles.
How To Select US Airways Seat
Step 1: Log-in To American Airlines and View Trip
The first step is to log-in to your American Airlines account and view your new US Airways award flight reservation.
Step 2: View Your Trips
Then select “My Trips / Check-In” to see the list of your trips.
Step 3: Select View / Change Your Trip
The next step is to select the AAdvantage trip where you would like to reserve a US Airways seat. Once you select the trip, you’ll be able to see all of the reservation details, including the US AIRWAYS RECORD LOCATOR! They make it so simple.
Step 4: Enter Your Record Locator At US Airways
Next, you’ll want to head on over to US Airways and enter your Record Locator.
Step 5: Select Your Seats On US Airways Operated Flight
You can now select your seats on a US Airways Operated flight by clicking the “seats” button on the right side of the picture below.
Step 6: Choose Your Seat And Enjoy
Final step is to select your seat carefully and enjoy the flight.
Selecting a seat for a US Airways operated flight on an American Airlines issued award ticket isn’t incorporated to AA’s website yet. It just takes a few more steps than if the flight were operated by an American Airlines flight.
If you are looking for American Airlines AAdvantage miles or US Airways Dividend Miles for an award ticket, consider either the US Airways Premier World MasterCard and the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Signature® Card. Or you could consider getting both like me and a lot of others while both of the cards and both of the sign-up bonuses are still around.
- What The American Airlines Merger With US Airways Means To Me
- Members Can Now Book US Airways Or American Airlines Flights With Your US Airways Dividend Miles or AAdvantage Miles
- A Delta Flyer’s Observations In An American Airlines Admirals Club Lounge
- American Airlines Godsend – Biscoff Cookies Served In Flight!
- American Airlines Miami Admirals Club Video Walk Through
- American Airlines Upgrades Admirals Club Lounge Snacks
- American Airlines Boarding Gets Faster For Some Passengers With No Overhead Luggage
- US Airways Last To The Party? New Portable Electronic Policy–Updates About US Airways Electronics In Flight
- Earn 3,000 US Airways Miles With New Rocketmiles Accounts
- American Airlines Miami Treasure Hunt
- How To Reserve British Airways Seats On American Airlines Award Tickets For Free
- British Airways Concorde Room – How To Book A Private Cabana & Elemis Spa Appointment
- British Airways “First” Impressions
- British Airways 4,500 One-Way Award, Doubling Your Point Value, And Combining Accounts
- Lunch In British Airways Concorde Room
- Breakfast In The Concorde Room First Class Lounge
- Breakfast In The Concorde Room And British Airways 1A On A319
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.