As many people continue to redeem their hard earned SkyMiles as a result of the news of Delta’s changes come January 1, 2015, it is important to remember that you can add a free one-way onto an international award ticket. What better way to maximize award tickets than to get an additional free flight out of it! Here’s how:
Learn What A Stop Over Can Do For Your
A stopover is an intermediate point in one’s journey.
- Example: Atlanta – Paris || Stopover || Rome – Atlanta
- Example: Atlanta – Paris – Atlanta || Stopover || Los Angeles
The stopover is one of the best tools a frequent traveler can use to maximize the award ticket. A stopover can be used as far out as the schedule permits. Since Delta’s schedules go out ~330 days in advance, that is a lot of time to maximize an award booking on an international itinerary.
A prime example of how to successfully use this tactic is how we used it on an award booking back in 2009 to go to the Seychelles, Mauritius, and Paris all on one ticket. We used only 120,000 Delta SkyMiles (per person) for business class tickets half way around the world. Best part of that trip wasn’t getting a free award ticket, it was hiking to the protected beach, Anse Major on the main island in the Seychelles of Mahe.
Find Desired International Award Ticket Availability
In this example, our original routing would take us from Atlanta direct to St Thomas with a return to Atlanta. We stayed a few nights at the Ritz Carlton St Thomas, enjoyed a great happy hour at sunset in a secret harbor, a fantastic dinner at sunset grill in secret harbor and then would return, to our home in Atlanta.
But why stop with just these flight segments when we can get more for free?
Add In Free Domestic One-Way Flight
Instead of starting and ending our trip in Atlanta, we decided to add on a segment to visit the mountains during ski season. We added on a one-way segment to the ATL > STT ticket that gets us to the mountains for free. No need to make the trips back to back since we have a full year to add on the segment. So we’ll wait a few months before heading to the mountains after our trip to the Caribbean.
In this example, we got ourselves to Salt Lake City for free on a one-way ticket added to our Delta award itinerary, we’ll still need to get ourselves back from Salt Lake City. This can easily be accomplished with another free one-way award ticket on the front end of a trip. So for our next trip, yet to be determined, we’ll add a one-way from SLC to ATL with a stop-over, before heading out on our next journey. This way, we’ll accomplish a free trip to Salt Lake City in between two international award tickets.
When booking an international award on Delta SkyMiles, make sure you take advantage of adding a free one-way ticket on the reservation.
I’ve done this several times in the past and it is a great way to maximize award tickets. How many times have you used this trick before? Where did the free flight take you?
If you are looking for more SkyMiles consider current Credit Card Offers here to earn more miles.
- Delta – How to get a free extra one-way on an award ticket
- Delta – Illustration on how to get a free extra one-way award ticket
- Delta – How to book one-way award tickets on Delta operated flights
- Ritz Carlton St Thomas Hotel Review
- Dinner At Sunset Grill In Secret Harbor, St Thomas
- Secret Harbour Beach Sunset Happy Hour
- Delta – Earn Delta status without flying
- Delta – Earning Delta Platinum Elite Status The Easy Way
- Delta – How To Get Low Level Delta Award On Cross Country Flights (The Hard Way)
- Delta – Free drinks on Delta with Electronic Have On On Us Certificates
- Delta – Free Drinks On Delta Flights For Medallion Members
- Delta – How To Check Your Delta Certificates And eCredits
- Delta – How to get free checked bags for friends of Elite members on split reservations
- Delta – Dedicated routes with lie-flat seats in Business Class
- Delta – Add your birthday into your account for a present
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class tickets to French Polynesia
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class tickets to Seychelles
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Australia
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Shanghai
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Tokyo
- Delta – Booking Delta’s one-way 90k business class award to Asia
- Delta – Get 500 miles for sitting in a middle seat
- Delta – Book your flight to greatly increase your upgrade changes and ride in style
- Delta – How to get access to the Delta Sky Club even if you are not on a Delta ticket
- Delta – How to keep up with the latest celebrity gossip on Delta Airlines for free with gogo wifi
- Delta – Track your bags throughout your journey with mobile bag tracking
- Delta – Earning miles on the TGV train in Europe; don’t make this mistake
- Delta – How to check the upgrade lists before you fly to ensure you are on the free upgrade list
- Delta – The search for in flight power outlets
- Delta – Choice benefits for elite members
- Delta – Bidding for Delta’s Voluntary Denied Boarding Vouchers
- Delta – Free checked bags on split reservations with friends
- Delta – How to purchase an upgrade at the gate
- Delta – How to get 10 free drinks on a Delta flight
- Delta – How to save 130,000 SkyMiles with Hawaii award booking
- Delta – How To Gift Delta Medallion Qualifying Miles
- Delta – Your Upgrade Is Now Confirmed – And How To Check Your Upgrade Priority Level
- Delta – Shhh! More Delta Secrets – Best Business Elite Seat On New Flat-Bed Configured 767 Planes
Points, Miles & Martinis will earn a small referral credit for successful applications through the links in this post. As always we appreciate any support for the blog.
This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through American Express Affiliate Program.