This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Some of the offers below may have expired or are unavailable on our site at this time.
I mentioned just the other day how I was on a tear earning American Airlines miles. So I take the blame for jinxing the American Airlines award chart into the unannounced changes this week. JK. But seriously, these changes will impact decisions by travelers just like me, and maybe you.
What We Know (At This Time)
I say “What we know (at this time)” is because these changes were announced and I’m not confident these will be the last, or all that we’ll find out at a later date. We already know that Delta doesn’t announce some changes, and utlimately get found by frequent flyers, bloggers or Flyertalk posters. So with American Airlines unannounced changes, we can only assume the same approach could be taken with American Airlines at this point. Here are some of the key known knowns:
1. Stopping Stopovers In American Gateway City
The ability to book an award ticket with a stopover is gone. American used to allow a stopover anytime in the next bookable year, when you take an international trip arriving or departing from a US gateway city. This means if you flew from London to New York, you could add on a ticket to the west coast, or even Hawaii.
Big loss in value of the American Airlines program in my opinion.
2. Eliminating Oneworld Explorer Award
American’s distance based explorer award is now gone, with no notice. I personally know people that took weeks out of their life to travel around the world using this ticket. Like this Trip Of A Million Lifetimes report where a couple took an around the world trip over the course of several months.
The ability to book distance based awards using the Oneworld Explorer awards.
3. Addtiaional Miles For Anytime Awards
Granted, I don’t book many anytime awards, but the option is nice. The new American Airlines award chart can be found here. This may not impact everyone, but this does make it easier to move award inventory into higher levels, like we’ve seen with Delta.
4. Changes to US Airways Award Chart
US Airways had a stellar 90,000 Business Class award to North Asia, but now that is gone. The new price is 110,000, an increase of 22% above an already discounted award level compared to pears. So this wasn’t unexpected in my opinion.
5. Unannounced Major Changes
The most important piece in all of this is the quick, overnight wholesale changes without notice. We all know the other airlines that do this, but I personally didn’t expect it from American Airlines. Especially with all the AApologists out there saying how great American is compared to Delta with treating their loyalty members. I wasn’t under the impression that nothing was going to change with the merger, but assumed, they would have a proactive customer communication approach to ensure minimal impact to the customer and maintain credibility. In this case, there was customer impact, and it wasn’t proactively communicated. Credibility was lost with this customer.
How were you impacted as a customer?
- Win One Of Ten (10) 100,000 American Airlines Miles Prizes
- Great Deal: 100% Bonus through US Airways Share Miles Promotion
- What The American Airlines Merger With US Airways Means To Me
- Members Can Now Book US Airways Or American Airlines Flights With Your US Airways Dividend Miles or AAdvantage Miles
- How To Reserve Seat On US Airways With American Airlines Booking
- American’s New Transcontinental A321′s Begin To Take Flight
- Argentina – American Airlines 777 First Class from Miami to Buenos Aires
- A Delta Flyer’s Observations In An American Airlines Admirals Club Lounge
- American Airlines Godsend – Biscoff Cookies Served In Flight!
- American Airlines Miami Admirals Club Video Walk Through
- American Airlines Upgrades Admirals Club Lounge Snacks
- American Airlines Boarding Gets Faster For Some Passengers With No Overhead Luggage
- US Airways Last To The Party? New Portable Electronic Policy–Updates About US Airways Electronics In Flight
- Earn 3,000 US Airways Miles With New Rocketmiles Accounts
- American Airlines Miami Treasure Hunt
- How To Reserve British Airways Seats On American Airlines Award Tickets For Free
- British Airways Concorde Room – How To Book A Private Cabana & Elemis Spa Appointment
- British Airways “First” Impressions
- British Airways 4,500 One-Way Award, Doubling Your Point Value, And Combining Accounts
- Lunch In British Airways Concorde Room
- Breakfast In The Concorde Room First Class Lounge
- Breakfast In The Concorde Room And British Airways 1A On A319
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed on this site are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. This post was accurate at the time of posting, offer may be unavailable on this site at a later time. For details on current offers visit the card issuer’s site.